Friday, October 19, 2018

Mom Blurbs Day 4



Day 4: When plans change…

If there is one thing I have gotten used to, in my joyfully chaotic life, it’s that plans do not always go as we intend them to. Several years ago, I started calling it, “rolling with the punches.” And, I still do that very thing.

This morning, getting the kids up and off to school wasn’t as bad as yesterday. Yes, we had some morning struggles. Nobody missed their ride, though, and that was a WIN for me this week!

I ran some errands with Kenny, and then spent the afternoon doing laundry, dishes, and some cleaning while he was gone, with the rest of the fire department, to a couple fire calls.

We've been making a few attempts to have dinner with Kenny's family this past week, and every attempt has been met with some sort of change of plans. It's all good, though, and we are "rolling with those punches." It'll happen, and that alone is enough to make me happy.

This evening was a quick meal event. Chicken and cheese taquitos with some chips on the side. I spent most of the afternoon and evening catching up on my favorite TV shows, that I’ve missed episodes on over the past two weeks. Criminal Minds, NCIS, NCIS: Los Angeles, NCIS: New Orleans, SWAT, SVU, Blue Bloods, and the Chicago series (Fire, PD, Med).

Mom felt lazy today. But I still got a lot done for someone who was wiped!

I will still have dishes to do tomorrow. Having no dishwasher kinda sucks. Only my two hands. Yes, I understand that I have three boys who could help with the dishes, and they DO try… I’m just extremely OCD about my dishes, and I have to walk away when they do them, so they don’t have me leaning over them saying, “No. Not that way. You’re going to miss a spot. Why are you using that amount of soap? No, no, no, no… here. Let me show you.”

Titus and Levi enjoy helping with the laundry, though. That’s a good thing! They are learning some basic life skills here and there. 😊

Other than the loud, boisterous shouting of the children as they play, the house has been relatively quiet this week. We have had our TV’s off for a bit, and the peace is lovely!

They go to bed every night, listening to Adventures in Odyssey, an old radio program I listened to as a child. My mom bought EVERY ALBUM that series has, and we are borrowing their old cassettes a few volumes at a time. Watching my kids attempt to use a cassette player for the first time was probably my most entertaining moment of the month! They were so THRILLED to be able to make it work! I still giggle every time I think about it.

The first tape that unraveled on them was EPIC! Levi came to me in a panic, saying he thinks he broke the tape! I found an old BIC pen, told him to sit beside me, and I would show him a trick. I began to reel it back in, and the look of amazement on his face was glorious! He was in awe! I was holding in my laughter as hard as I could until he walked away. I love my boys!

With that being said, I shall leave you with this. Turn off those TV’s. Read a book. Find an old radio program to listen to at night. It does wonders for the true imagination of the children. No screen before their eyes. No white noise. Pure and simple imagination and brain work. Love the little things, while we still have time to do it as a family. And when plans change, make the best of it! Even if you don't like the turn of events, children adjust well to plan changes, and if Mom makes the best of it, they will too. 

#hugs to you all! I shall see you tomorrow for another edition of my joyfully chaotic life!

No comments:

Post a Comment